You were injured in a slip & fall accident in Rockford and have suffered injuries because the premise owner didn’t never place a sign for the hazards. In such circumstances, you are entitled to compensation for your losses, which will help cover your medical bills, lost income, cost of rehabilitation, and other losses. Filing a personal injury claim is one thing, but getting a fair settlement is another. It is necessary to contact a reliable attorney for your case, and firms like Tuite Law can offer a free consultation for your cases. Below are some tips for collaborating with an injury lawyer.
- Choose the right lawyer. Would you trust a cardiac surgeon for your brain tumor? You know the answer. When people say that you need legal counsel, they usually mean seeking advice from the right lawyer. For claims involving injuries caused by someone’s fault or negligence, you need a skilled personal injury lawyer.
- Meet the lawyer in person. While many law firms insist on consultations on call, consider finding an attorney who would meet you in person and discuss the facts of the case. This allows you more space and time to talk about the claim, what to expect from the process and to understand whether an attorney makes you feel comfortable.
- Get a contract in place. Your personal injury lawyer will usually charge a contingency fee. This type of fee is not an hourly rate but a share of the settlement. There could be other expenses, many of which must be paid by the client, such as the cost of hiring experts and gathering certain types of evidence. Make sure that you have a clear contract with the lawyer.
- Be honest. If you believe that your action may have contributed to the accident in any manner, you should inform the lawyer. Comparative fault rules apply for auto accidents, among other cases, and may influence the outcome of the case. Your lawyer can work on the case accordingly.
- Get updates. Ask the attorney how you can get updates on your personal injury case. Keep in mind that attorneys are often busy and may not talk to you directly, but they should have a team to answer your questions in time. It can take a while to settle certain cases, but you have the right to know what is happening.
Call an attorney for a free consultation on your personal injury case.